Thursday 8 October 2015

Anna and the French Kiss – Stephanie Perkins


Genre: Young Adult

Back of the Book (Source: Goodreads)
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend.
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

What’s it about?
Anna is shipped off to a fancy French boarding school and she’s not happy. The school also houses British accented, French speaking, American citizen Etienne St.Clair. With a name like that and a charm that wins over everyone within a five mile radius, Etienne may be able to make Anna’s senior year in magical Paris a worthy one. The only problem is he has a girlfriend. L

My Review:
So I found the review of this book on my favourite Young Adult review blog and honestly, the review itself was cute. It didn’t take me long to download the book onto my kindle and excitedly dive into the magical story that is set in Paris. And boy did I like it!
Anna enters SOAP (School of America in Paris) with a less than excited attitude as she has left behind a baby brother, a best friend and a potential boyfriend back home in Atlanta. What does she have to look forward to in Paris where she doesn’t know the language or the people? Right? Wrong! She becomes friends with Meredith easily on the first day. But things become a lot more interesting when she runs into the gorgeous school sweetheart, Etienne St.Clair.
There are several winning aspects to this amazing book. I’ll start with the characters. Anna is sweet, relatable, self-conscious and caring. Etienne St.Clair takes the cake though. He is one of the best characters I have read in the latest list of YA books. Right from his unusual name to his adorable imperfections to his easy charm, it is nearly impossible to not fall in love with him. There are a host of other supporting characters who are all well written. Among them, I really like Meredith and Rashmi. Meredith is really sweet and I can see why anyone would want to be her friend. It takes time for me to warm up to Rashmi but she’s an interesting character with her heart in the right place.
The book has the advantage of a beautiful backdrop of Paris with fascinating encounters all over the city described in enriching detail. The conversations totally won me over. Whether it was in person or in electronic form, I would always have a smile on my face while reading.
Stephanie Perkins’ writing is probably the only thing that is more beautiful than Etienne St.Clair. As a writer myself, I aspire to be able to capture the essence of first love in such an elegant and evocative manner in a book.
I would suggest Anna and the French Kiss to readers of older age groups as well. It is both good writing and a great romance. I have read Lola and the Boy Next Door as well and Stephanie Perkins is easily the latest to join my “PLEASE READ NOW!” list of recommendations.

Favourite Character: Etienne St.Clair (Duh)

Favourite Quote: There are so many. I will make a little list.
1)      “I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”
2)      I'm a little distracted by this English French American Boy Masterpiece.”
3)      “Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?”

Onto the next book!

Until it’s done,


The Perennial Reader J

No comments:

Post a Comment