Wednesday 24 June 2015

Fictional Characters Written by Sophie Kinsella that I Love and Admire! (Part I)

I have a select group of authors that I absolutely love. Sophie Kinsella ranks very high on this list. Ever since I laid eyes on the book with glossy shopping bags and Isla Fisher on the cover, I just knew I was going to love her books. So, I thought I’d do a list of characters written by Sophie Kinsella that I have come to love and admire. I have included "Part I" in the title as I know I will love the characters she writes about in her books in the future as well. :) So here goes (In no particular order):   

1)      Becky Bloomwood (Brandon) – The Shopaholic Series
If I ever actually got to meet Becky Bloomwood, I would thank her for introducing me to one of my favourite writers, Sophie Kinsella. Apart from that, Becky’s love for shopping, hilarious inner monologues, relationship with Luke, friendship with Suze and others and a warm and endearing personality are some of the many reasons I enjoy reading this series.
2)      Luke Brandon – The Shopaholic Series
He is one of my favourite characters that Sophie has ever written. The stable and patient side of the Shopaholic series, he is there every time Becky even thinks of the word “Shopping”. His poker-faced, at times flabbergasted sense of humour has me falling over in peals of laughter.
Favourite Luke Quote (Among many others): “Rule of life. If you bother to ask someone’s advice, then bother to listen to it.”
3)      Suze Cleath-Stuart – The Shopaholic Series
Suze is one of my favourite besties of all time. She is the sort that would jump up and down with excitement because something good happened to her best friend but at the same time would be brutally honest with Becky if the situation demanded it.
4)      Sadie Lancaster – Twenties Girl
Ah Sadie! When the beautiful, vintage character from Twenties Girl said “Darling, when things go wrong in life, you lift your chin, put on a ravishing smile, mix yourself a little cocktail...” I knew this book was going to be something magical. She is the heart and soul of this book. I adore her attitude towards life and her love for dancing.
5)      Samantha Sweeting – The Undomestic Goddess
The premise of this book is fantastic and so unique. I absolutely love the range of characters in this story but my favourite is the main character, Samantha Sweeting. I think the best part about her is that she is just like us in so many ways and is learning more about herself and life every day. I loved being part of her journey while reading this book.
6)      Poppy Wyatt – I’ve Got Your Number
This is my favourite Sophie Kinsella novel ever! The book had me at the storyline itself. If that weren’t enough, the conversations are so funny and amazingly witty. Poppy Wyatt is vibrant, optimistic, smart and charming. I found her relatable as well. This book ranks high on my recommendations as well as reread lists. J
7)      Sam Roxton – I’ve Got Your Number
As you can see, I love this book. Sam Roxton is the perfect combination of sensible, practical, funny and awesome. It was very difficult for me to finish the book and not fall in love with him. End result: I did not succeed. Not that I was trying very hard to begin with. :P

I am totally looking forward to Sophie Kinsella’s latest book, Finding Audrey. It is her first Young Adult novel and as I’m a fan of both the genre as well as the writer, I can’t wait to read it. J

Until then,


The Perennial Reader. J

No comments:

Post a Comment