Friday 1 May 2015

Meant to Be - Lauren Morrill

Meant to Be – Lauren Morrill


Back of the Book: (You know, in case you didn’t know what it was about.)
(Goodreads)
Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.
“It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").
But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.
Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.”

The Review Part: J
I’m glad I chose this book to review first on my brand new blog. To begin with, I like all things romance related. And this book has quite a few things I’d like.
Let’s get acquainted with the characters, shall we? This book is about Julia on her junior class trip to London (I know! I’m jealous already) along with a bunch of her classmates, one of whom is Jason. Jason is a total class clown and is not really a rule follower which irks our heroine Julia no end as she likes to dot the i’s and cross the t’s just the way the textbook says.  But thanks to Jason and one not as-per-the-rules party, Julia finds herself on a crazy journey around London having one adventure after another.
Now what I love about the book! The author, Lauren Morrill describes London in the exact same way I’d want to experience it. She captures literature, music, nostalgia and the magic of London through the eyes of Julia. It actually had me googling the places she’d described. J
I also love a good conversation between the lead pair. This book surely doesn’t disappoint on that front. It has some excellent retorts and name calling. It has the sort of light conversation that’ll make you smile even after you keep the book down.
In the beginning of the book, Jason surely gets on Julia’s nerves (and mine) with his antics and constant teasing. But as the book progresses, he surprises and totally grows on me. Julia, with her love for literature, London and rules is a character right up my alley. So I totally enjoyed reading the book from her point of view.
I’m definitely going to read other books by Lauren Morrill.”Being Sloane Jacobs”, her second book, is already on my TBR. So, if you guys are looking for a fresh, funny, London-themed, YA novel, I’d totally recommend MTB.
As this is my first post, I thought I’d include the fact that I’m always on the lookout for new books to read. So, if you guys have suggestions of books that you absolutely loved, please let me know in the comment section.

Until then,


Perennial Reader. J

1 comment:

  1. Well written! I like that you included the back of the book as well as your take on it :)

    ReplyDelete