Thursday 9 July 2015

The Rereader: Twenties Girl – Sophie Kinsella


Every reader has a select group of books and authors that they have on their reread lists. Those books that you feel like visiting again because you love the story so much or that the characters are so lovable or simply because it takes you back to a time in your life that you really liked. So I thought I’d come up with a new section on my blog for my reread list: The Rereader!
As mentioned in my previous post, Sophie Kinsella ranks super high on my reread list. The charm of Twenties Girl pulled me to reread it for the …um…I’ve lost count of the count. :P
Sophie Kinsella is also holding The Great Sophie Kinsella Summer Readalong. I think it’s a perfect time I chose to reread Twenties Girl. Although if you ask me, any time is a good time for a Sophie Kinsella novel. J

Back of the Book (Source: Sophie Kinsella’s Website)
“Lara has always had an overactive imagination. Now she wonders if she is losing her mind. Normal twenty-something girls just don’t get visited by ghosts! But inexplicably, the spirit of Lara’s great aunt Sadie – in the form of a bold, demanding Charleston-dancing girl – has appeared to make one last request: Lara must track down a missing necklace Sadie simply can’t rest without.
Lara’s got enough problems of her own. Her start-up company is floundering, her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, and she’s just been dumped by the love of her life.
But as Lara spends time with Sadie, life becomes more glamorous and their treasure hunt turns into something intriguing and romantic. Could Sadie’s ghost be the answer to Lara’s problems and can two girls from different times end up learning something special from each other?”

The Review Part:
I thought the best book to start off a new feature on my blog should be by one of my favourite authors. That would be the ever amazing and witty Sophie Kinsella’s Twenties Girl. Sophie always comes up with brilliant, unique plots with hilarious conversations and lovely characters in every novel.
I read this book a while back and just reread it again for the joy of it (I’m pretty sure you have done it too, with your favourite books J). It starts off with the main protagonist, Lara Lington attending her great-aunt’s funeral along with the rest of her family. Little does she know that she is going to have the company of her great aunt in ghost form throughout the book. (Much to our delight)
My favourite character, Sadie, the great-aunt is a joy to read about. Her only request from Lara is to find a dragonfly necklace. That takes Lara on a wild chase and she joyfully takes us along with us. One of the great things about this book is that it shows us glimpses of clothes, dancing, music and how life was in the 1920s.
Romance-wise, this book has some wonderful moments and I personally found the conversation hilarious. It definitely has some butterfly-in-stomach inducing pages. J
If you are looking for an amazing romance and haven’t read this one yet, you should go for it! If you have read it already, it’s always a fun reread! J

Much more later,

The Perennial Reader J

No comments:

Post a Comment