Friday 21 August 2015

What Happens in London – Julia Quinn


Genre: Historical Romance

Back of the Book: RUMORS AND GOSSIP ... THE LIFEBLOOD OF LONDON
When Olivia Bevelstoke is told that her new neighbor may have killed his fiancee, she doesn't believe it for a second, but, still, how can she help spying on him, just to be sure? So she stakes out a spot near her bedroom window, cleverly concealed by curtains, watches, and waits ... and discovers a most intriguing man, who is definitely up to something.
Sir Harry Valentine works for the boring branch of the War Office, translating documents vital to national security. He's not a spy, but he's had all the training, and when a gorgeous blonde begins to watch him from her window, he is instantly suspicious. But just when he decides that she's nothing more than an annoyingly nosy debutante, he discovers that she might be engaged to a foreign prince, who might be plotting against England. And when Harry is roped into spying on Olivia, he discovers that he might be falling for her himself ...

What’s it about?
She looks out of the window to spy on him. He knows she is spying on him. Thus begins a war of words between the two characters until it turns into something else. J

My review:
I picked up this book from an old bookstore and I’m really glad I did. I am on a mission to work through my TBR pile that I have already invested in and it’s safe to say that I’m doing really well, thank you for asking. J What Happens in London by Julia Quinn is the first of many such wonderful gems.
To begin with, I must warn you, I haven’t read too many historical romances. I think it’s just that I haven’t picked up too many of them in the past and there is no real reason for it. My favourite historical romance is Nicola and the Viscount by Meg Cabot (Just in case you were wondering. :P) However I digress.
Julia Quinn is an author I am totally going to look out for from now on. She proves that she knows the old timey world of London like the back of her hand with the lovely use of rich language in this book. This was one of my favourite parts of the book. I found myself thinking in the same style as well even after I kept the book down. :P
I adored the dialogue between Olivia and Harry. Their conversation is what makes this book sparkle and their chemistry crackle. The characters have been written well. I like how Olivia knows that she’s pretty but doesn’t enjoy all the perks of being beautiful. She is also intelligent and well read. Harry is smart, teasing, and a loyal friend: all the characteristics you’d need to like a hero. J His friend Sebastian provides many a hilarious moment as well.
The storyline as such is fairly usual but has been written really well and that’s what makes the book fun to read. I laughed quite a few times and heard my friend who read the book after me do the same. J The book progresses really well until the end which I feel could have been slightly better. However, the first three quarters of the book more than make up for it.
I am certainly going to read more of Julia Quinn’s works and I’m glad to see that there are quite a few to be read. J

Favourite Character: Olivia Bevelstoke (Her mental lists are hilarious!)

I know it’s been a while. I hope the next review is sooner rather than later. J

Until then,

The Perennial Reader :)

No comments:

Post a Comment